Our mission is primarily accomplished through collaborative decision making in publication activities, readings, and mentorships that develop, showcase, and honor local voices.
Publishing and Exhibition
- We publish the annual Saint Paul Almanac compendium and travel guide filled with stories, poems, and artwork related to the city. Three-time award-winning—now in its ninth edition.
- We organize an annual contest for visual artists whose works appear in the Almanac. Exhibits through September at AZ Gallery and Black Dog Coffee and Wine Bar.
- We publish a weekly blog of art happenings in Saint Paul: This Week in Saint Paul: TWISP.
- We publish chapbooks and trade paperbacks (Ramsey County Corrections, Vision Loss Resource Center) for organizations to celebrate their work.
- We launched Storymobile in June 2014. Residents write, film, and speak their stories with help from professional writers: archived at SPPL.
- We host “Almanac Literary Festival” in partnership with Cracked Walnut. Almanac authors read their work.
- We host the monthly Lowertown Reading Jam Series.
- Community editor project—21 diverse community editors choose what goes into the Almanac and learn writing and publishing skills.
- Writing workshops in schools, jails, libraries, and other local organizations.
- Collaborative Development Partnership with Juxtaposition Arts and Givens Foundation for African American Literature. Three youth apprentices learn and practice nonprofit development work in all three organizations—two-year project.